A Saturday-night favourite, this tour explores the glorious British obsession with boozing. This two hour tour round four historic London drinking establishments provides the atmospheric backdrop for an exploration of the evolution of the drinking establishment and the British palette. Stopping in each characteristic venue, relax into a drink and take a trip through time, from the 15th century coach inn to the 20th century pub.
Circling the ancient City of London, the tour starts and ends near Blackfriars Station (7pm-9pm). Our guides will unveil a rich social history - a tale rife with politics and scandal. The history of drinking is incomplete withtout a whole host of influential factors from war, to religion and gender.
- Cast your vote in the centuries-long battle between beer and ale!
- Discover traditional brewing techniques and their gruesome alterations.
- Find out how the workers' boss won his wages back
- Explore the Victorian gin craze
- Unpick the origins of the Temperance movement spearheaded by the teetoal Prime Minister.
This is a relaxed tour, not just of four fantastic pubs, but of the rich history they represent.