Stretch your legs on a guided walk from Fernkloof Reserves visitors’ center to the waterfall and Boekenhout’s Bos (Afro-montane forest) and climb the Adder Ladder and onto the Jeep Track. Fernkloof Reserve is a famous biodiversity hotspot with more than 1300 plant species and 60 km of walking trails. Once on the Jeep track we follow the gentle rolling path, dressed with colourful fynbos to Hamilton Russell Estate where we relax and reward ourselves with a wine tasting. Then a stroll to nearby Bouchard Finlayson, globally acclaimed for producing the best Pinot Noir in South Africa as well as exceptional Chardonnays’ & Sauvignon Blancs. The deli platter will not disappoint as you enjoy the beautiful garden setting.
- 08:00 start at Fernkloof Reserve Visitors center
- briefing and orientation regarding the guided walk
- guides are experienced qualified Nature & Culture Guides
- Before starting the walk we establish any special interests or medical issues
- Thereafter an introduction to the Cape Floral Kingdom & the Fernkloof Reserve
- The walk begins with a steady ascent to the waterfall and Afro-montane forest where we have a short rest
- Tea & coffee is brewed under the shady trees
- The Afro-montane Forest is a small pocket of Boekenhout (Rapanea melanophoeos), Assegai trees( Curtisia dentata), Silky Bark ( Maytenus acuminata) and Rooiels (Cunonia capensis) to mention a few.
- the ascent continues as we climb the Adder ladder and on to the Jeep Track
- guided walk to Hamilton Russell Estate for a wine tasting (30-60 min)
- walk to Bouchard Finlayson vineyard for a tasting of award winning Pinot Noir
- Superb deli platters available
- Pick up at Bouchard Finlayson Estate
- Total distance 9-10 km
- 5-6 hours