Verona's gallery of modern art is situated in Palazzo Forti, part of a block of buildings occupying what was originally a Roman site and now bounded by the roads Via Forti, Via Massalongo, Corso Sant'Anastasia, and Vicolo Due Mori. The original structure of Palazzo Forti was built in the 13th century.
In 1937 Achille Forti, an illustrious botanist and the last of the Forti line, left the complex to the city of Verona which, in accordance with his wishes, converted it into a museum of modern art. After just a year the museum closed and was to reopen only after the war, first as an art school and then as the administration offices of town council until about 1950.
In 1966 Professor Licisco Magagnato superintended further restorations and revealed the medieval structures. In the meantime, though for just a few months, the museum began to function again, only to be closed, with the exception of a few shows, until the 1980s.
In 1982 the city council decided on the definitive establishment of the gallery which was inaugurated on 14th March of the same year. Since then the gallery has organised many important exhibitions dedicated to the most significant artists and movements of the national and international scene such asVan Gogh, Munch, Degas, Toulouse Lautrec, Picasso, Modigliani, de Chirico, Magritte, Klee, Kandinsky, Malevich, Chagall until Marc Quinn.
Among the objectives of the Gallery there are conservation, enhancement and promotion of its collection through a corpus of about 1300 works of modern and contemporary art with works by artists of great importance as Medardo Rosso, Vanessa Beecroft, Francesco Hayez, Fabrizio Plessi, Felice Casorati Giulio Paolini, etc..