The Museum was established in 1927 and served from 1964 in the historical complex of St. Benedict. It accommodates a rich documentation of the whole province of Salerno from prehistory to late Antiquity.
The route starts from the Lapidary occupying outdoor spaces in front of the entrance to the Museum and the adjoining viridarium, where are exhibited statues, reliefs and honorary basis figured coming mostly from Salerno and have come to light since the seventeenth century; It continues within the lower floor, with a chronological and topographic, exposure of the entire territory of Salerno, integrated with new sites and artifacts recovered during excavations from older deposits and donations from 1928. The prehistoric section includes materials of both the Paleolithic and Neolithic from the caves of Pertosa, Polla, Palinuro, deer, and both Molpa eneolithic, from the area of Fratte, the oldest settlement in the municipality of Salerno.
The iron age is documented by artifacts villanovians (9th-8th century BC), from Pontecagnano and Sala Consilina. The culture of burial such as Oliveto-Cairano in Salerno is evidenced by the burial outfits VIII-VI century BC, while the so-called "orientalizing", characterized by geometric decoration, ceramics is witnessed by finds of Arenòsola at the mouth of the Sele. Following the exposure of the Greek period, documenting the culture and trade between magnogreci centres of the Tyrrhenian and Ionian. To enrich the typical male and female costumes from various sites of Salerno are a collection of necklaces and other jewelry in amber, accompanied by ivory and vitreous paste, with vague conformed to female heads or Silenus, 5th and 4th century BC, as the numerous sannitici belts and beautiful bronze helmets of various eras.
The upper floor houses the materials coming from the city of Salerno, ideally coming to the section of Lapidary, from takeoff in the 6th century. BC of the old town of Fratte, a suburb of Salerno, 5th-6th centuries a.d., late antique Roman phase of Salernum founded as a colony in 194 BC
Exposes funeral from Navy band: oil lamps, vases and tombstones for a period that comes up to the 4th century a.d. and a beautiful bronze head of Apollo, found in the waters of the Gulf of Salerno in 1930, who became a symbol of the Provincial Museums of Salerno. Complete the exhibition a rich numismatic collection.