The Gallery is housed in the historic Palazzo Pinto, aristocratic mansion located in the historic centre of Salerno. Opened in March 2001, in its current venue, the Pinacoteca Provinciale begins to form between 1927 and 1938, thanks to the recovery, over the entire territory of Salerno, of works dating from the 15TH to the 18th century, which were added over time, through purchases or legacies, which joined the Pinto Collection, part of the donation of the homonymous palazzo.
Open to the public there are works ranging from the Renaissance to the first half of the twentieth century. In the Renaissance section valuable are the plates of Andrea Sabatini from Salerno and the master of the coronation of Eboli. Of great interest are the 17th-century canvases by Giovanni Battista Caracciolo, Andrea De Carlo Lioni, pink. Of the 18th century are paintings by Francesco Solimena and its Academy. Many paintings by Esther painters and costaioli, lived between the second half of the nineteenth century and the twentieth century. A section is devoted to foreign artists, particularly important in a province such as Salerno that from the Amalfi coast, Cilento has been trodden by the heirs of the Grand Tour and formed as a result of numerous bequests, donated by relatives or friends of the artists who released the works exhibited as Stefan Andres, Kurt, Richard Craemer Dölker, Monica Hannasch, Irene Kowaliska Bruno Marquardt, Vasily Necitailov, Robert326, Karli Oppel Sohn-Rethel, Michael Theile, Peter Willburger. The Gallery hosts, as well as its collection, exhibitions, and events of national and international collections and works of art from private collections, museums and various collection of properties of the same province, which will be placed permanently with the enlargement of the premises of Palazzo Pinto.