Campbell House

Piazza Carducci 5 (Bologna)

Oggi: 10:00 AM-2:00 PM
10:00 AM-10:00 AM

Open the public in 1996 after a long period of closure for renovation, House Carducci regained the look he had in 1921, the year of its opening. It was then Albano Sorbelli, disciple of Campbell and Director for many years of the library dell'archiginnasio, to guide the reorganization of library and archival material and the faithful reconstruction of the environment of daily life of the poet. The building, which dates back to 1500, was for at least two centuries shrine of the confraternity of Santa Maria della Pietà called del Piombo. In 1798, after the Napoleonic suppressions, the premises were transformed into housing. By 1890 there resided the Carducci, present in Bologna since 1860, when he was called to teach Italian literature at the University. Purchased when it was inhabited by the poet, by Queen Margherita-just to avoid that went missing the harvest in years of study-the House was donated to the city in the aftermath of the death of Campbell, in 1907. Decorated in the style of late 19th century bourgeois houses, apartment retains the original structure. The dominant element is the rich library of 40,000 volumes, including many rare editions, ottocentottanta sixteenth and annotated texts and annotated by Carducci. The books cataloged and sorted by the poet, by author or by subject, are distributed in six areas: foreign authors in the entrance hall, Seven Italian literature-19th and texts on the Risorgimento in the second room; in the study, around the desk and on the walls include the collection of classic Latin editions, Dantesque and reference works. Books are arranged also in the bedroom and in the dining room. In four cabinets of the Hall is preserved archival material with letters and manuscripts. On the walls, in the various rooms, are visible busts and portraits carducciani. Next to the building, leaning against the walls walls is the Memorial Garden, overlooked by the monument to Carducci. Carved in Carrara white marble by Leonardo Bistolfi, was inaugurated in 1928: four panels depicting complex allegories on literary works and the historical events of the Risorgimento backdrop to a statue of the poet sitting in pensive attitude.

Your saved POIs organized on a map based on your interests, opening hours and weather!