The International Museum and library of music is located in Bologna's historic centre within the prestigious Palazzo Sanguinetti. The building was reopened to the public after a long and careful restoration, which brought the original splendour internal frescoes made between the late 18th century and early 19th century. The main floor of the Palace houses the nine rooms of the exhibition, spanning almost six centuries of European music history with over a hundred paintings by distinguished musicians, more than eighty antique musical instruments and a wide selection of valuable historical documents: treaties, books, booklets, letters, manuscripts, autograph scores, from the legacy of Father Giambattista Martini.Il Museum also houses on the ground floor, the faithful reproduction of the famous bolognese violin maker workshop Otello Bignami, donated by the heirs. The Museum path opens among the "luxuriant" decorations of the Hall called Boschereccia, with some symbolic works which serve as prologue to the visitor who is preparing to make the trip within the musical world. 2 and 3 rooms are dedicated to the spiritual father of the new Museum, portrait in an oval by Angelo Crescimbeni: Giambattista Martini, that the precious legacy which moral, intellectual and material, is celebrated here and made known to the general public. In particular in the Hall 3 will illustrate the relationships between Padre Martini and the personalities of the musical world of the time such as the young Mozart or Johann Christian Bach, depicted in a famous portrait by Gainsborough. In the same room you can admire the famous Sportelli di libreria musicale by Giuseppe Maria Crespi.Si continues, then, in Room 4 ("the idea of music") dedicated to musical theorists from 400 to 600, with important examples of musical treatises, with portraits of their respective authors and some musical instruments of great importance as the omnitonum harpsichord (one piece) by Vito Trasuntino (Venice 1606). Some of the most relevant pieces are on display in the Arts Hall (Room 5) dedicated to the "Books for music and instruments of the 16th and 17th centuries". Kept in modern circular Windows, placed in the middle of the room to accommodate the rich decoration of the floor, you can admire rare texts at the end of the fifteenth century up to the famous Harmonice musices Odhecaton a., first printed musical book by Ottaviano Petrucci. Then the instruments: Lutes; the harmony of flutes by Manfredo Settala of 1650, which represents a real unicum; the clutches, small violins used as a tool by dance masters; and then the hurdy-gurdies, serpentoni and the extraordinary series of horns and cornets of the 16th and 17th centuries; Finally a striking scene, as the Theorbo in the form of khitára. Italian opera becomes protagonist in the halls. The 18th century 6 room, dedicated to the famous singer Carlo Broschi Farinelli said: his beautiful portrait painted by Corrado Giaquinto, dominates the room, along with portraits of castrati from various eras and composers of the time, among them Antonio Vivaldi and Domenico Cimarosa. 7 room the nineteenth and Gioachino Rossini, whose name is inextricably linked to Bologna: portraits, busts , booklets of the first performances of Isabella Colbran, singer and his first wife, the autograph score de Il Barbiere di Siviglia, but also curious personal effects, such as the robe from the room or the hairpiece and the grand piano built in 1844 by Camille Pleyel, which belonged. The route continues through the centuries, the uses and fashions, music in the Hall 8 dedicated to "Books for music and instruments in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries": violas d'amore and flutes traversi joined with scores composed by Torelli, Vivaldi, Bertoni, etc. and then the Clarinets and the beautiful Buccin made at Lyon by Jean Baptiste Tabard (1812-1845).