The Museum is housed in Palazzo Schifanoia since 1898, includes a series of collections that bear witness to the town's history. Its origins date back to the 18th century, when they were established the Public Museum, the library and the drawing Academy in Paradise Palace, seat of the University. Currently, the collections, presented in a partial or rolling, are arranged in the halls of the fifteenth and fourteenth-century wing of the Palace. The first group, consisting of the lapidary collection, was formed in 1735 to Palazzo Paradiso. But it was the purchase of Numismatic Fund Bellini to enshrine in the Constitution Museum's 1758. Boosted by copious donations, the Medals, the main regional, has more than 22,000 units; In addition to the core of Italian coins, medieval and modern, includes sections on Greek, Roman, Punic, a collection of coinages and punches of mint in Ferrara and a series of medals made by great artists of the Renaissance: Pisanello, Matteo de ' meals, Saliba from Mantua. The archaeological collections, increased during the 18th century, originated from the merger of Greek, Etruscan and Roman Antiquities, glasses, lucerne and bronzes, which was added in the 19th century the Egyptian collection. By cardinal Riminaldi were then donated the engraved gems group and the core of the collection of bronzes, with works by Giambologna and Algardi. It is then visible to a rotating selection of carthusians and choral olivetans of extraordinary quality: there are also the Bible commissioned by Borso d'Este for the monastery of St. Christopher miniata from William Giraldi and incunabulum Decretum Gratiani miniato by workers of Ercole I. minor collections, Including the collection of ivories has heterogeneous pieces, including blister with polite scenes. In 1935 he gained the Pak ceramic graphite collection; After the second world war, following the abolition of Pie, Works a large number of vestments and a group of paintings of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries Ferrara, with paintings of Balta, Zola, Scarselino. 14th wing are works of great value, like the altarpiece in Alabaster sculptor in Nottingham, from the early 15th century, the Madonna with child, polychrome terracotta by Domenico di Paris and part of the wooden choir of Sant'Andrea, inlaid in the 15th century by the bottega dei Lendinara.