The Bodoni Museum, opened in 1963, is the oldest Museum of printing in Italy, housed on the top floor of the Palatine Library in the palazzo Farnese della Pilotta. Documents the work of Giambattista Bodoni, typographer born in 1740 in Saluzzo and active in Parma, at Stamperia Ducale and letterpress Workshop from 1768 until his death in 1813. The museum displays a rich collection of printed bodoniani, a substantial correspondence and the precious collection of tools in the workshop of Giambattista Bodoni. The exhibition is organized in six sections, useful to illustrate the life and work of the printer, the history of books from manuscript to the present day, the evolution of the printed page and character, the history of typography in Parma from the 15th to the 20th century. Of great interest is the section dedicated to the bodoniana workshop, which exposes punches, dies, molds for the casting of the characters and other tools that explain the typographic work.
The Museum offers the public a rich modern library that contains valuable works of Italian publishing, graphic and design studies, publishing essays and monographs on Bodoni, books on the history and techniques of printing. It also promotes studies and research in the field of graphic art and typography and organises exhibitions, conferences, lectures, seminars and educational visits for schools of all levels.