The Tower of Michelangelo, also known as the "Tower of Saint Anne" (due to the presence of the small church dedicated to the Saint) is a turreted house built in the Bay of Cartaromana on the eastern side of the island of Ischia.
The building has a square plan, has three levels above ground, of which the first, shoe, closes with a bull in stone. The geometry of openings, framed by thick volcanic stone textures, place the work within the framework of the Neapolitan Renaissance Mannerist culture's testimony, as well as successful not only because of its frescoes, but also for the House and garden, architectural conception context of mythic images and privileged place of cultural metaphors. The tower is surrounded by a large garden that flows downstream Cartaromana waters and those of a disused source celebrated by Giovanni Boccaccio and was surrounded on two sides by high walls, of which remain only the strokes.
The hotel is situated in front of the Aragonese castle, which is a short distance from the rocks of Sant'Anna, an important archaeological site that reconnects the history of old Bay Colony (now submerged) of Aenaria, florid Roman settlement dating back to a period between the 1st century BC and the 4th century CE, characterized, as proven by the numerous finds of pottery factories and workshops for metalworking.
The building, dating back to the late ' 400, is probably at the hands of don Juan De Guevara, man of arms originating in Spain belonging to the retinue of Alfonso I of Aragon, who in 1454 appointed him King's Knight ", or another Member of the same family, Francesco De Guevara appointed life Governor of the island by Charles V. The tower was then built not only for housing needs, but also to carry out functions of coastal defence and the Castle, as established by the sovereign under the edict of 1433.
A legend tells that in 1500 there have stayed on several occasions the artist Michelangelo Buonarroti, bound by a secret affair to castellana Vittoria Colonna, the wife of Francesco Ferrante d'avalos. This information, as well as those which give the artist some of the paintings inside the building, they are not supported by any historical document.
The tower is currently used as a multipurpose facility for art exhibitions (such as those by Arnaldo Pomodoro and Hidetoshi Nagasawa which took place respectively in 2003 and 2006 by the cultural circle "Georges Sadoul") and cultural events. The same club has promoted restoration campaigns-Hochschule fuer Bildende Kuenste in Dresden-ported by making it possible to attribute the wall decorations in reconstructions of works by Hans Vredeman de Vries, Flemish artist of the 16th century