Marina square is a square in the historic centre of Palermo la Kalsa or Mandamento district courts. In the middle of the square there is the villa Garibaldi designed by the architect Giovan Battista Filippo Basile in 1863.
The square, until the middle ages, it was a swamp connected with the harbour of Cala. In the 14th century, during the Angevin domination, of reclamation. It was like creating a vacant land used by the Inquisition for martyrdom and killing heretics from nearby prisons Steri. In 1863, Filippo Basile designed the Villa Garibaldi, and settled herself in front of the Palace of finance the Baroque Fontana del Garraffo, designed by Paolo Amato and sculpted by Gioacchino Vitagliano, until then located in the square of the same name in the Vucciria market, between the via Argenteria and via dei Frangiai. From valuable time piazza della movida Palermo, in December 2009 was born a consortium to create a nature center and to push the pedestrianisation of the square. The pedestrianisation has taken shape in some areas of the square starting in 2014.
In January 2011 the city of Palermo has contracted the renovation of three squares historic towns including piazza Marina. The project involves the restoration of paving and street furniture, restoration of the fence of villa Garibaldi, the reconstruction of the lighting of the square, the fountain of Garraffo and enlightenment of villa Garibaldi.
Inside there is the 19th century Villa Garibaldi, hero of the Risorgimento to celebrate the birth of the Kingdom of Italy. In caratterizzar the square are also the many historic buildings that surround it, including palazzo Chiaramonte or Steres, current seat of the Rectorate of the University of Palermo, palazzo Galletti di San Cataldo, Palace, Palace Made Notarbartolo di Villarosa Dagnino, hotel de France, the free theatre, palazzo Mirto, the Church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli, the Palazzo delle Finanze old Vicaria the Church of San Giovanni dei Napoletani, the Church of Santa Maria della Catena, the puppet Museum, the fountain of Garraffo.