The Abbey of San Pietro is an important place of Catholic worship of Camaiore, Lucca, within the territory of the parish of Santa Maria Assunta, belonging to the Archdiocese of Lucca.
The first two documents mentioning the Abbey of Camaiore dates back to the time of the Lombard domination and precisely a year 761 time when the Duchy of Lucca was the capital of Tuscany.
The Foundation of the Abbey of Benedictine monks back then at least the 8th century. In later centuries, the Abbey became an important complex of the Church, the Bell Tower, arc, from the graveyard and a monastery surrounded by battlements.
In the early 12th century the Abbey reaches its maximum splendor. The Abbot had managerial Episcopalian civil and under the protection of the Holy See. Both for the donation of the Countess Matilda of Canossa, both for the initiatives of the monks themselves, the early Church, which was built with a single nave with the floor to one floor and a stone altar, underwent a radical transformation in the 12th century, assuming the current architectural appearance. The two aisles were added, the pediment, the apse and the truss to roof stands.
The monastic complex in the first half of the century. XIII was granted to the monks of the order florense founded by Joachim of Fiore.
The Abbey was plundered and set on fire, along with the town of Camaiore, twice: first, in 1315 by Castruccio Antelminelli and a second in 1329 by Marco Visconti.
The entrance arch enters on the square in front of the Church, now grassy meadow (Benedictine cemetery suppressed by several centuries) and is the only remnant of the battlements of the 13th century. In the past it was the main entrance to the Abbey. Built entirely of stone, has been recently restored preserving its own simplicity.
The Romanesque church is characterized by a masonry entirely hewn. The façade is key, according to the heights of the aisles. Down the Middle, you open the only Portal surmounted by a marble coat of arms and a sheltered by a roof sloped bezel. Within the arch is a polychrome fresco depicting the Madonna and child enthroned between Saints. Above the portal, there is a two-light window surmounted by a carved marble column with capitals.
Along the left side of the Church near the apsidal area there is the Bell Tower. A square plan, has a Crown with Ghibelline battlements. On each of the four sides there are three rows of Windows, from below, single mullioned Windows.
The Church has a Basilica, with three naves covered with wooden trusses and divided by two rows of arches resting on square pillars. Along the walls there are several mullioned Windows that provide natural lighting of the Church.
The nave ends in a semicircular apse of section and slightly smaller height. The presbytery is raised a few steps compared to the rest of the Church and has been completely redone afterwards by the Second Vatican Council. In the forward position, on the left, there is the Ambo sculptured, whereas in the middle is the main altar with behind the Presidential seat, consisting of wooden benches decorated with arches. Above the altar, hangs from the ceiling a crucifix painted.
Among the works kept in the Church, you are copying a polittico di Francesco D'Andrea Anguilla, now in the Museum of sacred art of Camaiore, depicting the Madonna and child enthroned between Saints (15th century). The 14th century fresco with St. Mary of Egypt, the first pillar on the left, and the Madonna della Pietà, on the second pillar on the left encased within a rich Baroque marble altar.
Down the aisle to the right, leaning against the wall, is the pipe organ built in 1130 1995 opus Mafa.
The instrument is fully mechanical transmission. Your console is a window and is situated in the middle of the prospectus. It owns three keyboards of 54 notes each and 30 upright pedal notes. The registers are operated by pull knobs placed in two groups of two files each sides of keyboards.
The organ is enclosed within a wooden crate in the shape of the box. The façade is characterized by the exhibition, comprising Main canes with a mitre; These are arranged in a cusp with wings in more fields, at the sides and above the console.