The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta is the main place of Catholic worship di Camaiore (LU), seat of the parish, belonging to the Archdiocese of Lucca.
Located in the middle of the urban plan, the ancient Church of Santa Maria Assunta was founded in 1278 after the expansion of the rural village until then in the employ of the Benedictine Abbey of St. Peter. Romanesque in style, was built between 1350 and 1365 Bell Tower. In 1387 it became baptismal Church, Papal Bull of Pope Urban VI that with the source the dismembered from the parish church of San Giovanni Battista di Camaiore. On 26 January 1515 Pope Leo X, on the application of the Republic of Lucca, elevated in collegiate, instituting a chapter of canons and beneficiaries, with a dignity of prior, in the person of pro-tempore Parson, with rank of Protonotary Apostolic.
Since the 15th century, the church underwent a series of renovations that have changed the look, without, however, changing the ancient Romanesque structure. Especially after the earthquake of 1536, during which was badly damaged, it was rebuilt and reopened for worship. In the 18th century, the Church was the subject of a series of restorations in Baroque style, with the construction of the apse and chapels. On 23 October 1799 was consecrated by the Archbishop of Lucca, Filippo Sardi; previously remembered the dedication of the church every year, on March 15, but ignoring the precise date. In the early 20th century, the exterior was led back to the original characteristics.
The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria Assunta is located in the historical centre of Camaiore, piazza San Bernardino da Siena, not far from the Town Hall.
The square is a main façade, attributed to the Romanesque style with a restoration in the early 20th century. It presents a masonry with square stone blocks and has a particular asymmetrical structure, lying, on the left, the Bell Tower. At the bottom there are two portals, each of which is topped by a simple bezel devoid of decoration. At the nave, there is a circular rose window.
To the left of the façade, stands the high Bell Tower, 14th century. It has a square plan, with the clock face on the front. The belfry opens to the outside with large mullioned Windows arches.
The Interior of the collegiate church is a Latin cross with three naves and cruise covered with Dome, and comes with an elegant eighteenth-century forms.
At the entrance to the Church, in a compartment located at the base of the Tower, it is the pit, baptismal with reliefs of 1387 and a rectangular pool dating from the same era.
In the Church are altars and marble confessionals, works of fine local stonemasons, the antique silver candlesticks and some Baroque altarpieces by the local artist Giovanni Marracci. In the chapel at the bottom of the left aisle, dedicated to the Blessed Sacrament include the Annunciation in bas-relief, designed by Stefano Tofanelli, placed above the altar, and, on the right wall, communion of the Apostles by Pietro Dandini, while in the apse there is the assumption with Saints Peter and Paul. The dome is frescoed with the coronation of the Virgin by Benedetto Brandimarte. On the altar near the bottom wall of the left transept, there is a precious wooden crucifix carved from the 14th century.
The choir opposite the façade, is the pipe organ opus 18, built in 1866, Pauline Bertolucci reusing some material sound of previous organs of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Restored and altered in 1954 and in 1965 by Parodi and Marin, was the subject, in 2001, of a restoration by the company Mascioni, who has restored the original features.
The instrument is mechanical transmission and its console has a single keyboard of 54 notes with chromatic octave pedalboard and lectern before extended 18 notes, with 18° pedal matches the third hand. The registers are driven by scrolling to the right post of the handcuffs, in two columns.
The Department is housed inside a wooden crate richly decorated with sculptures and reliefs. The exhibition is divided into five fields and consists of Main canes with a MITRE placed cusped within each field.
The disposition based on the location of the handcuffs of logs in the registriera: