Mann-Borgese House is a stately home situated via t. Mann number 4 angolo via Donatello, in the Roma imperiale of Forte dei Marmi.
Leonardo Ricci was already quite famous when he designed, in 1957, the House in Forte dei Marmi for Elisabeth Mann Borgese, daughter of noted German author and wife of Giuseppe Antonio Borgese. The client was so excited to dedicate a presentation about the architecture and history of 1959 when, likening the House to a translatlantico ready to set sail for the mountains (the Alps), expresses its full appreciation for aggression "manly" dynamic and contrast material, plant-typical of the rest of the language year-between reinforced concrete, glass and stones rough of Carrara marble.
Located in the hinterland of Forte dei Marmi, not far from the sea, the House relates to organically to the site based on a double principle-integration and expression-design architect but logic inherent here resolved as efficiently also in terms of expression, as will occur in case of subsequent House Balmain on Elba, from the system entirely.
While the first plant to double range optimally exploits the panoramic views to the mountains and toward the Tyrrhenian coast, the building is both ' hovered ' and ' anchored ' to the ground. In fact the House rests on the bridge on robust buttresses '' ' to ' Ricci, permanent structure, typically made of marble (Carrara quarries waste) right to denounce effectively the anchorage into the ground.
Besides the body of reinforced concrete building (visible part and part painted in white) tends to autonomizzarsi from this kind of ' rustic ' stand but continues in elevation with SEPTA that intersect the concrete structure according to a logic of composition of neo-plastic matrix. Also the block scale is placed inside a stone tower body; solution already adopted by Ricci in his home-studio and home-Sahil at Monterinaldi.
The House consists of three floors: on the ground floor hosts a summer stay, sort of ' patio ' surrounded by buttresses raised floor is a large living room (m. 18x16) which rises to two-thirds of the entire high and is connected to the kitchen. At the center of the living room, which faces the corridor leading to the rooms and services, was placed a large cocktail table [...] heavy slate with a simple decorative carving ", designed by ing. Gianfranco Petrelli and then realized together with the architect Fabrizio Milanese. The other furnishings were custom-designed by Ricci, with the collaboration of the arch. Dusan Vasic.
The cost of the House was about 7000 livres/mc; by elaborate original project signed by Leonardo Ricci, presented to the town of Forte dei Marmi, you find that the layout of the House was modified during construction especially in reference to the morphology of "spurs" Although the design characteristics have remained basically unchanged.