The Collegiate Church of Santi Quirico e Giulitta (also known more simply as the collegiata di San Quirico) is a Catholic place of worship located in San Quirico d'Orcia.
Early medieval sources
Was an ancient parish church preceded by an 8th-century Baptistry. The present building was built in the late 12th century or the beginning of the next century; the oldest part seems to be the one corresponding to the façade and, in particular, to the main entrance. The final part was completely altered with the demolition of the original apse in 1653 to build the choir.
The Church has a Latin cross plan with a nave and apsidal chapels. Of the three portals, the most significant of these is the main portal, of Lombard style, consisting of a slightly arched porch above the fold (architecture) arch, decorated and supported by two pairs of jacks for hand knotted in the Center and sandstone, resting on lions. On top of the studs you set the arch. Inside the porch there are five columns on the left and five right with capitals decorated with animals and acanthus leaves. On the portal you will find two crocodiles addressed. In the center of the bezel is carved in high relief a figure enthroned held an effigy of San Damaso, but actually to be identified with the representation of San Quirico. The decoration of the portal is developed according to a Christian iconography that comes from the Lombard art.
In the second half of the 13th century were undertaken extension work which consisted in adding the transept and two side doors along the Via Francigena. The first of the side portals built in 1288 was attributed to Giovanni Pisano who in those years (1287-1288) was engaged in Siena in the construction of the Cathedral. On the cusp of the portal is the lettering in Gothic Iohes, interpreted as the name of the Pisan or even as the memory of the ancient title of the parish church dedicated to Saint quiricus and Saint John the Baptist. In 1298 the portal on the same side in the wall of the transept, the work of Rector lot (from the inscription on the lintel) which you have probably the same transect. The portal offers a combination of Gothic and Romanesque elements. In 1644 the pieve was promoted to associate. In 1724-1733, Cardinal Anton Felice Zondadari, the old tower was torn down to make way for a new one, and the Interior of the Church was remodelled in the Baroque style.
In 1749 the choir seats were restored. Had been achieved by the Sienese artist Antonio Barrels for the chapel of St John the Baptist in the Cathedral of Siena, then decommissioned and then purchased by the marchese Chigi in 1644. Only 7 of the 19 panels made from Barrels are still present: the others, except for the self-portrait of the artist subsequently delivered in Vienna, have been lost. Between 1798 and 1806 was built a new Tower. In 1878 he was made a pulpit in stucco, later transferred to the Church of our Lady of Vitaleta. Subsequent changes to the Church were made in the restoration work after the second world war.
With regard to the Interior, to the left of the main altar there is a large 15th century altarpiece with a Madonna and child, Angels and Saints (among them San Quirico) on a gold background, attributed to Sano di Pietro. In the Lunette, instead, are represented the resurrection and the descent of Christ into Limbo. On the predella are painted the coat of arms of the municipality of San Quirico and five scenes from the life of the Virgin Mary. On the floor to the left of the nave, at the entrance to the Church, there is the tomb of Prince Henry of Nassau, who died in 1451. The visible part of the organ is 19th-century Venetian style and with ornaments and decorations of pure gold. He was transferred here from Monteoliveto Abbey in 1810. On the left side of the aisle is the chapel of suffrage, newer construction. Contains an early 16th-century detached fresco known as the Madonna of the Apple or the Madonna delle Grazie, attributed to Girolamo di Benvenuto, and Rutilio Manetti's painting depicting the Virgin of the Rosary that saves a girl from drowning (early 15th century).