Saint George's Church is a place of Catholic worship of Portofino, situated uphill San Giorgio.
History and description
According to a plaque inside the Church, the building was erected in Romanesque style in 1154 although further excavations-made in reconstruction after the second world war-have allowed the discovery of an ancient chapel with a square plan perhaps dating back to the time of the Lombards in Liguria when operating the monks of Saint Columbanus.
The structure was revised and modified in 1691 and simultaneously was widened the road (Salita San Giorgio) next to the Church from the main square of the village; a further restoration and extension is implemented in 1760. During the second world war the Church was destroyed by a bomb dropped from an aircraft into a dive.
The reconstruction took place shortly after the cessation of the war, in 1950, and with funds of the same residents who rebuilt with new altars and fixtures, but according to the ancient structure of 1760.
Inside the relics of Saint George, patron saint of Portofino, brought by sailors taken veterans from the Crusades.