The battery of Punta Chiappa is the defensive compound of 202ª coastal battery of the Royal Army, built in the late 1930s on the Western side of the peninsula of Portofino-ship system conceived as a protection of the Gulf of Genoa. Along with batteries of Arenzano, Monte Moro and Pegli was part of the coastal system in the defense of Genoa during World War II.
Following the aggressive policy of Italy during the late 1930s, and the tightening up of diplomatic relations with European powers, France in particular, the high command of the Royal Army develop a plan to strengthen the defence of the Italian coast, particularly at major naval bases, as La Spezia, Augusta, Naples and Messina and the main industrial centers like Genoa In Cagliari, Livorno and Palermo.
For the square of Genoa was decided to build two batteries from 152/45, battery Mameli and battery Punta Chiappa, supported by two armed pontoons located in the port of Genoa, and the "first group of railway batteries", Genova, formed by four armored trains of the Regia Marina (T.A.) each with four pieces from 120/45, and a train armed with four cannons from 152/45.
But Allied naval raids of June 14, 1940, and February 9, 1941, highlighted the shortcomings of coastal defences genovesi, Punta Chiappa and M with their pieces from 152 were unable to face the enemy ships. Thus it was decided to build two new and modern artillery, armed with 152 pieces, but above all with carriages for pieces from 381/40, the battery Mount Moro and the battery of Arenzano. Many of the shore batteries after two raids had no way of having a "baptism of fire", and among these the battery of Punta Chiappa never went into action, because during the raids of June and July, were totally out of reach of its 152/45 guns.
This battery like the other Finally, was occupied by units of the Wehrmacht and the RSI after September 8, 1943, and structurally reinforced and adapted by the Organization Todt constructive policy of German bunkers in the perspective of any allied landings in the coasts of Northern Italy.
This battery was armed with three pieces from 152/45 positioned in "Baba" on as many platforms of concrete; the logistics were located in some buildings near the platforms themselves. For fire control and observation battery minions used two bunkers made of reinforced concrete, communicating with each other through a tunnel in the cave. Two other local cave tunnel connecting the logistics services to the premises probably munitions depot and hospitalization for the staff. A further telemetry bunker was built on the southern slope of Mount Portofino in the locality of the pitcher. The latter's field of view is great, the Visual field ranged from virtually Capo Mele to the Gulf of La Spezia.
The garrison of this bunker was staying in a concrete building located right in the back of the building which formerly housed the staff of the Guardia di Finanza. Upon completion of the battery, were built some sentry boxes and cubicles selling to small arms to defend the stronghold.
After the 8 September, the Organization Todt performed some reinforcement work on drums, replacing two of the pitches were constructed two pillboxes to "turtle shell" which were armed with two 88 mm FlaK pieces, setting up their command in San Rocco di Camogli inside Villa Giulia, villa still well preserved.
The 202ª coastal battery
All battery is held in cornerstone, and defended by a system of barbed wire and minefields, the barracks are equipped with anti-aircraft shelters, taking care, in one of these you can still read an inscription in German: "Spiele nicht mit ein Gewehr, denn es konnt geladen sein" which translated means "do not play with a rifle, because it might be loaded." =
This is the description of the installations present in the battery, until September 8, 1943.
Telemetric bunker in the locality. Pot
Located in a dominant position, in this bunker protected by a rocky ridge is the building that housed the garrison of the bunker.
Telemetric bunker in the locality. Grass meadow
On top of this bunker possibly was the place of a 20 mm anti-aircraft gun emplacement, and in the back of the seat has a niche that could act as ammunition cases. A trap door with metal cover, currently closed gave access through a metal ladder to the tunnel with the radio bunker below.
Also located in the locality of Grass, probably intended for a German-built radar.
The only pitch left discovery from the interventions of the O. T. to House a piece from 152/45, with a side entrance leading to the explosives storage located in cave.
Bunker n º 1
Reinforced concrete blockhouse built on the site where it was located one station discovery, armed with 152 pieces probably/45, with a cave covered with concrete, situated at the rear. The station was equipped with a main entrance and a neighbouring building.
Bunker n º 2
Twin of n º 1.
Within a few minutes by a path, the barracks of the logistic services included an infirmary, a local command, a dormitory, a warehouse, kitchens and latrines.
All the locals were attached to the rock faces, where were located the entrances of the tunnel (long even 25 m) leading to stores and shelters for the staff.
In front of the entrance of the local command is still visible in its original location a metal blade with a shoe cleaner to remove the mud from the soles. A sign that read "Castro" and alongside a League title that resembles a heraldic Crest is present over the jamb of a door.
How to get there
Along the Highway 1 Via Aurelia, turn right towards Rue Step, and got to the top, a right turn leads to the village of San Rocco, from here you are walking along a short and scenic path leading in the locality of stoves, and then to the batteries.