The Palais de Rumine is a late 19th-century building in Florentine Renaissance style in Lausanne, Switzerland.
On his death, Gabriel de Rumine, son of Russian nobility, left the city of Lausanne 1.5 million Swiss Francs to erect a building for the use of the public.
Building began in 1892 according to the design of the Lyonnais architect Gaspard André. The building was inaugurated on the 3 November 1902, although building work continued until 1904.
It housed facilities such as the library of the University of Lausanne, and scientific and artistic collections belonging to the Canton of Vaud. In the 1980s, the university moved to its current location by Lake Geneva due to lack of space, and the Palais was restructured.
The building currently hosts one of the three sites of the Cantonal and University Library of Lausanne. Additionally, it contains the following museums:
Musée cantonal des beaux-arts (Cantonal Museum of Fine Arts)
Musée cantonal d'archéologie et d'histoire (Cantonal Museum of Archeology and History)
Musée monétaire cantonal (Cantonal Museum of Money)
Musée cantonal de géologie (Cantonal Museum of Geology)
Musée cantonal de zoologie (Cantonal Museum of Zoology)
Notes and references
Édouard Aynard, L'œuvre de Gaspard André, Lyon : A. Storck, 1898. p. 161- 168. OCLC 5107808
www.vd.ch. "Le palais de Rumine". Retrieved 2007-11-06.
"Dossier des latinistes - Lausanne : quelques exemples d'architecture néo-classique". Retrieved 2007-11-06.