Palazzo Madama in Turin is one of the Savoy residences UNESCO, is located in Piazza Castello, one of the main squares of the old town, and home to the Museum of Ancient Art, which contains a rich collection of sculptures, paintings, glass, tapestries etc.
The name comes from the fact that it was first inhabited by Cristina of Bourbon-France, called the first Madama Reale, in the period 1620-1663 about, and then to Marie Jeanne of Savoy, called the second Madama Reale, in the period 1666- 1724. It was for the latter, that the present façade was designed in 1716-1718 by the architect Filippo Juvarra, the first architect of the House of Savoy. The monumental facade Juvarrian is characterized by a giant order of pilasters and fluted Corinthian columns topped by a marble balustrade with reliefs, statues and vases.
Palazzo Madama in Turin, however, has a double soul of architecture. On the one hand we have the baroque facade overlooking Piazza Castello Juvarra, on the other hand, its medieval origins, the ancient castle from which it takes its name actually the square. Its origins are actually much older, even Roman gate Decumana, since in fact it is located in the Roman Quarter.
Inside, do not miss the monumental grand staircase by Juvarra, the remains of the Roman gate, on which stands the palace, decorated roofs and exhibitions, both permanent and temporary Museum of Ancient Art.
Divided into thirty-five rooms, the museum is spread over four floors in addition to a scenic spot located in one of the towers of the castle of Achaia.
The plan is the moat medieval lapidary; the ground floor is for the art of the Gothic period and the Renaissance; the first floor (or floor) houses works expression of the Baroque period; the second floor is dedicated to the art of decoration.
The collections housed inside include over seventy works (those exposed 2,500), of ages ranging from the Middle Ages to the Baroque (XVII and XVIII century). Included are paintings and sculptures, illuminated manuscripts (such as the famous Hours of Turin), ceramics, porcelain and faience and ivory (mainly produced in Asia), gold and silver, as well as furnishings and fabrics.
In fifteenth-century tower called Tower of Treasures displays some of the most representative of the museum: the "Portrait of a Man" by Antonello da Messina, the "Code of the Très Belles Heures de Notre Dame de Jean de Berry" illuminated by Jan Van Eyck.