The Museum was established in 1929, but closed following the destruction occurred during the second world war. Transferred to the Municipal Aquarium was reopened in 1952 and transferred in 1980 at the current headquarters. The Museum is a Centre for scientific culture and research for preservation and conservation programs of the natural heritage. The exhibition is under preparation. In December 2000 the Hall was opened to the sea, which is home to the great blue whale skeleton Annie and other species of cetaceans, turtles, fish and birds related to Mediterranean marine environment. In the Park of the villa and in the spaces once used for allotments was created a botanical gardens dedicated to the flora and vegetation of the Mediterranean region, with particular reference to the communities on the coast of Livorno and the Tuscan archipelago.