• The Museum is housed in a monumental structure of Castel Nuovo. The castle was built at the behest of Charles I of Anjou, starting in 1279, the architect Pierre de Chaule. In 1442, with the conquest of the Kingdom by Alfonso of Aragon, called the magnanimous, the castle was gradually rebuilt, according to the needs of the defensive half of the 15th century, with the intervention of the Majorcan architect Guillem Sagrera. Since 1990 the Castle houses the Civic Museum. The tour route is divided between the Palatine Chapel, the first and second floor of the castle's southern curtain. The Palatine Chapel, the only witness of the Angevin age, is characterized by an outside marble portal by Andrea dell'Aquila. The Interior was originally frescoed by Giotto and his workshop, presents works of Florentine painter Niccolò di Tommaso and artists of that part of the second half of the 14th century, from the del Balzo Castle by Carel. Among the works of the Renaissance Neapolitan are the Newsstand by Domenico Gagini, the Tabernacle of Jacopo della Pila and the Madonna with child by Francesco Laurana, originally located in the portal of the chapel. On the first floor are works of religious clients ranging from the 15th to the 18th century, from churches and suppressed. The precious fifteenth century painting "Madonna with child and saints" from the monumental complex of s. Eligio and "the adoration of the Magi" painted by Marco Cardisco (1519) for the Cappella Palatina.
Example of 17th-century Neapolitan production is the "Crucifixion" by Battistello Caracciolo from former Real Casa Santa dell'annunziata. Among the objects of applied art of liturgical origin, include a rock crystal crucifix and 16th century embossed silver and the reliquary bust of St. Barbara. The second floor preserves works from the 18th to the 20th century. In rooms devoted to the works of the second Neapolitan 19th you can admire paintings sorted by themes: historical episodes, landscapes, views of the city of Naples, portraits of women and gender. The itinerary of the visit you may also admire historical environments of the Castle including the Sala dei Baroni, Beverello Tower, the porticale area with archaeological remains, the paths of ronda and the panoramic terraces. Next to the Museum there are two exhibition rooms, respectively "the lodge Room" and "Charles V" systematically hosting temporary exhibitions. The Civic Museum Castel Nuovo is inserted into the network of Campania > Artecard museums.
Privileged place of memory and identity of the castle territory is intended to fill the role of the diffused Museum of the city through the recovery and enhancement of more monumental spaces and its expansion of the Collections.