Along the southern side of the courtyard in front of the façade of the Church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, is the Ducal Palace, the former summer residence of the Visconti dynasty-sforzesca and guest quarters of high rank, which today houses the Museo della Certosa prestigious. The building changed in 1625 from a speech in front of the architect Francesco Maria Richini, presents a linear succession of Windows between engaged columns that give elegance and brightness to the entire structure. The first idea for the establishment of a Museum of the Certosa was launched at the Ministry of education in 1883 by the milanese architect Tito Vespasiano Paravicini, a well-known author of books of Lombard Renaissance architecture, which performed a first accurate survey of the Carthusian façade. It was his proposal to begin to collect and sort in one many local marble, terracotta and different pieces to form a museum to the Certosa. The actual realization of the Museum (on two levels) to Luca Beltrami, Director of the Regional Office for the preservation of monuments in Lombardy since 1891 and since 1892, he did achieve a first nucleus of Museum, with Bambaia carvings, a series of designs for the façade of the Certosa, the Ecce Homo by Bramantino, and a first set of casts made by Peter and Edward Pierrotti in second half XIX century , derived from Renaissance masterpieces of the façade by pilasters and capitals of the cloisters. The casts, of great finesse and large Executive, began to be collected in the ground floor of the Palazzo Ducale, the current gallery. The Museum was opened to the public for the first time in 1911, remained closed for more than half a century. The gallery that collects more than 200 casts of large and small size is unique not only in Lombardy, but also in the Italian panorama. In recent years (2002 to 2006) were restored most of these casts, and placed, with a new production by the Superintendence for architectural heritage and landscape of Lombardy, in the Gallery on the ground floor of the palazzo Ducale.
The telephone booking (0382 539638) is possible even in the day of visit (with a minimum notice of 1-2 hours).
The free guided tour is conducted by the cooperative art historical Labyrinth.
The opening of the Museum is subject to opening hours and closure of Carthusian complex.
For visiting the Church and the monunentale complex of the Certosa, apply directly to the Cistercian Fathers.
Information and reservations
Tel. 539638 (0382 Coop. Daedalus) 902 345-0597 (Stefania unbleached)