Piazza San Carlo is one of the most important squares of Torino; can be defined as the capital of Piedmont's lounge. 168 meters long and 76 metres wide, the square has an area of 12,768 square meters; is inserted inside the road of Via Roma, which connects to Piazza Castello and Piazza Carlo Felice.
Throughout history took the names of Real square, piazza D'Armi and then, in the Napoleonic period, place Napoléon. By 1618, is dedicated to St. Charles Borromeo, as one of two twin churches, the Holy Archbishop of Milan who had to Shroud a particular devotion. Emanuele Filiberto in fact did bring the sacred Linen in Turin in 1578 to shorten the pilgrimage on foot, Carlo Borromeo was supposed to lead to Chambéry to worship him.
It is customary to stage various historical and social events, including the elettoriali comedians, concerts, events, television direct (during the XX Olympic Winter Games, the 2006 American NBC Tv made the stage his live links), labour disputes, celebrations of sporting triumphs of Juventus Football Club.
In this square, on the occasion of the Exposition of the shroud, on the morning of May 2, 2010, Pope Benedict XVI met the nationality of Turin and celebrated mass; in the afternoon, the Pontiff presided over a meeting with young people from Piedmont, before visiting the Duomo of Turin, to venerate the Holy Shroud, and the little House of Divine Providence.
Piedmontese politics always took place in Piazza San Carlo, or rather in its famous cafes, frequented by royalty, Noblemen and writers. The most famous is the Caffè San Carlo, who was the first local throughout Italy to have gas lighting: served to enhance the stuccoes and statues that decorate. The Caffè San Carlo lived his golden years when, between 1920 and 1925, became a meeting place for Mario Gromo, Giacomo Noventa, Giacomo Debenedetti, Philip Burzio, Francesco Pastonchi.
Else of particular importance is the Café Torino, under Baroque porticos, with outdoor seating in summer; famous is also the cafeteria Neuv Caval'd Brôns, with an elegant stone staircase leads to the upper floor, where you can admire a splendid panorama.
Confectionery Stratta, founded in 1836, is known throughout the country for its confectionery and behind his austere life showcase the confectionery tradition of Torino and Piedmont.