Piazza Solferino is a square in the historic center of Turin; is located at the junction of via Pietro Micca, via Santa Teresa, via Alfieri, via Lascaris, via dell'Arcivescovado, via Bertola, via Giannone and via Cernaia: However, in hindsight, it is nothing more than the extension of corso Re Umberto, which represents the starting point. It takes its name from the town of Solferino, in the province of Mantua and the battle that took place on June 24, 1859, which saw the victory of franco-Piedmontese troops against the Austrians during the second war of independence. In addition to valuable 19th century architecture, the square hosts the Teatro Alfieri, one of the most popular in the city.
The square, which until the Napoleonic era was known as the market square of wood and called Forest square, was originally an irregular shape. Post on the outskirts of town, on the square faced various heterogeneous buildings with sheds, low buildings and boundary walls to protect gardens and private gardens. After the presentation of some projects, the final version still visible today was that of 1853, by the architect Carlo Promis. Later the Central flower beds at via Alfieri, who were held in 1870. In 1855 it was built the Teatro Alfieri, one of the most famous of the city. The Theatre today, Padala, was built between 1855 and 1858. The January 5, 1858, however, a massive fire destroyed it completely, forcing to rebuild it again. In 1877 the square was enriched of a new monument dedicated to Ferdinando of Savoy-Genoa, the sculptor Alfonso Balzico, while in 1884 was the monument to Giuseppe Messina exile flour. During the 19th century were built stately buildings, including the prestigious Palace of architect Carlo Ceppi Ceriana and the elegant mansion that once stood at the confluence of the current via Pietro Micca and via Santa Teresa, destroyed during the bombings of World War II: in its place was built in the 1950s, to a design by architect Walter Carl, the Tower of Solferino 15 floors above ground. In 1930 he was the famous Fontana Angelica, by the sculptor Giovanni Riva.
Famous are the two monuments that adorn the square: first, the fountain angelica, in 1930 and consists of four groups of statues that refer to the four seasons. Was commissioned by Mayor Riccardo Cattaneo. It was built to a design by the sculptor Giovanni Riva thanks to funding from the Minister Paolo Baiotti and took its name from the latter's mother (Angelica Cugiani). First thought to position it in front of the duomo, piazza San Giovanni, then piazza Solferino was chosen because it represented a better scenario to contain it. Also in the square is the equestrian monument to Ferdinand of Savoy-Genoa when, during the battle of Bicocca of 1849, where he was mortally wounded his horse. The work was created by the sculptor Alfonso Balzico. At the beginning of 2004 was inaugurated, a double Atrium Pavilion designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro. On the occasion of the 20TH Olympic Winter Games this pavilion hosted Sponsor Village, the space where the main sponsors of the Olympics would show up. The structures were dismantled in 2010.
Redevelopment of the square
Following controversies about the opportunity to provide for the Elimination of at least one of the two halls Atrium now fallen into disuse, in the course of 2010 were dismantled both and work began for the construction of an underground car park.
Completed jobs, the city of Torino has launched the new square on June 16, 2013 and was relocated the monument to Giuseppe La Farina, Patriot restored after being removed in 2003 and a new and colourful Sundial.
Piazza Solferino is the setting and the background of many scenes of the film the second time (1995), directed by Mimmo Calopresti Turin.