The Museum was established, State, with RD No. 1934 June 14, 1928, published in the OJ of August 27, 1928 No. 199.
The collection is located on the top floor of Ca ' Pesaro, home of the International Gallery of modern art, by virtue of the Convention in 1925 between the State and the municipality of Venice (Notarial Archive of Venice.
Local Acts register 1372, vol. 441, no. repertorio160).
The Museum is housed in one of the most sumptuous Baroque buildings that overlook the Grand Canal. The building, begun by Baldassare Longhena (1598-1682), in the second half of the seventeenth century, was completed at the beginning of the eighteenth century.
The collection that is the Museum of Oriental art is Prince Henry of Bourbon, count of Bardi, and his trip around the world made between 1887 and 1889. By long stays in Indonesia, China and Japan Henry of Bourbon reported 30,000 pieces that he set up in permanent exhibition in Venice, at palazzo Vendramin Calergi. The events that followed the death of the Prince, in 1906, the sale of part of the collection, the first world war, ended with the acquisition of the collection by the State in war damage repair. Between 1925 and 1928 he realized adaptation of work premises, the preparation and the transfer of the collection to Palazzo Vendramin Calergi at Ca ' Pesaro.
Since November 2002, and subsequent renewals, is in force the agreement between the city of Venice and the Soprintendenza Speciale per il Polo Museale Veneziano that unifies the management of ticketing and wardrobe services, bookshop and Café.