In 1838 the Modena community decides to build a modern theatre able to respond fully to the needs and the representative of the city decoration, now served by insufficiently old Teatro Comunale di via Emilia, in the building where, from the 17th century, was located the ancient theatre of comedy, V. The new building is entrusted to the Ducal architect Francesco Vandelli, already author of the Foro Boario and the Church of s. Giovanni del Cantone, who before taking steps the project travels to visit to important contemporary theatres including, documented by reliefs, are those of Piacenza, Mantua and Milan's La Scala which are pinned in size to some sketches (A.St.C. Modena , V. Prof. Francesco Architect. Contact details Municipal Theatre factory from 1839 to 1843. Different projects of private jobs undated, c. 1, s.d.). They represent one of the few graphic documents by hand of architect whose designs are not known for autographs. work began in may 1838 the area chosen, between Canalgrande, Venice, Fonteabisso lane and s. Margherita, which provided to break down or reduce twelve houses, but nevertheless proved equally insufficient space, for which the façade of the theatre broke the symmetry of Underground houses. This helped facilitate in the distance the "reading" of the function of the building, which is also hampered by the lack of real where is located. To support the enormous expenses necessitated by the magnificent building, the old Municipal Theater boxholder were invited, and more answered favorably, to permute the boxes of old theatre with equivalents in the new one; loans made to the commune of Modena to Formigine and the Congregation of charity of Mirandola; He participated in the same Duke, paying the Royal box and supplying marble coming from the Villa d'Este at Tivoli. After nearly four years of work the theatre-with a large porch for outside cars, numerous service spaces (including the spacious stage room), a room from the horseshoe-shaped plant with four tiers of boxes and a gallery as well as a richly decorated ceiling-he opened the evening of October 3, 1841 with Adelaide of Burgundy at the castle of Canossa, by Alessandro Gandini (poem by Charles Malmusi) followed by the dance, choreographed by Rebecca with Emanuele Viotti and scenes by Camillo Crespolani. From the building that has undergone radical changes; currently presents the original neoclassical façade with an ashlar portico on the ground floor flat, a first order of architraved Windows and an attic floor with smaller Windows. The prominence of the central part is marked by four Doric columns on which you set a railing to pilastretti that delivers three Windows divided by ionic pilasters; crowning a fastigio decorated with the genius of Modena which frames the coat of arms of the city. The façade is embellished with the insertion of a plastic shaped decoration, as well as rosettes on archivolts, on the ground floor by bas-reliefs of Luigi Righi in the flanks of the porch (solution certainly derived from Piacenza municipal) and at the Windows of the first order. Inside by an atrium oval boxes are accessed through two flights of stairs and through the door, central to the audience that it has a horseshoe, in three tiers of boxes (with their "dressing rooms") concluded by a gallery created in 1901 in place of the fourth order (cfr. A.St.C. Modena, administrative acts, 1901, f. 379, fs. Theatres, 2 PCs.) and from the public gallery. the ceiling from which hang the chandelier placed with the introduction of electric lighting in 1887 (see. A.St.C. Modena, administrative acts, 1887, f., fs 87. Theatres, 9 PCs.), is decorated with ornaments of Camillo and Crespolani with figures by Luigi Manzini, also author of the stucco with stories of genius that run along the balconies of boxes framed by slender pillars. In 1869 he was an overpainting of the ceiling, by Ferdinando Manzini, who proposed adding four groups of cherubs. The room is equipped with a mystical Gulf created in 1935 (cfr. A.St.C. Modena, administrative acts, 1935, f. 1477), a large and fully equipped stage with original lattice fence plants and a sottopalco restored, with the floor of the stage supported by wooden pillars. In the 1980s the theatre has undergone many restorations that have turned both to service that equipment. in October 2007 the municipal theatre was named after Luciano Pavarotti, in memory of the great tenor for a month after his death.