The Marucelliana Library, designed by Francesco Marucelli which library of general culture open to a wide audience, as well as the inscription on the façade: Bibliotheca Marucellorum publicae maxime pauperum utilitati, was opened to the public on 18 September 1752. The original nucleus of the collection is the library of Francis Abbot, dying in Rome in 1703, had placed his library, housed in the Palace of via Condotti, was intended to create a public library in Florence where, at the time of his death, this was not an institution of this type.
A building was built from scratch and not resorted to the adaptation of a preexisting building, as happened to many libraries open in XVII-XVIII centuries.
The building was designed by the founder's grandson, Alexander, who donated Marucelli even their books and appointed librarian Angelo Maria Bandini, who ruled the library for about fifty years. Among librarians who followed the lead of the institution include Francesco Del Furia, Guido Biagi, Desire Chilovi and Henry J which, for competence and activity, were also important in the international arena.
It is under the direction of Bandini, in 1783, that enters the Marucelliana drawings and prints collection put together by the last representative of the family, Francesco di Ruberto. Other significant enhancements to the library came in the wake of the Conventual Grand-Ducal and suppressions, Napoleonic wars, and finally to the death in 1866 in the early years of the Kingdom of Italy. This increase allowed the entrance to the library most sixteenth and incunabula currently possessed.
In the second half of the 19th century and the first of the next century arrived and formed into various funds Library historical, artistic, literary and political such as the hammers, Ballantyne collection, correspondence Nada, industrial art, etc.
Following the Act of 1910, establishing the compulsory deposit of printed, the Marucelliana began arriving the printed editions in four districts of the province of Florence, Pistoia, San Miniato and Rocca San Casciano. Today the library is the recipient of the printed works in Florence and its province.