The State archive of Naples was founded as a "General archive of the Kingdom" by r.d. December 22, 1808, in order to bring together in the same ancient local archives existing institutions until the arrival of Joseph Bonaparte in Naples in 1806. Were so concentrated the archives of the Royal Chamber of Summary, which belonged to the volumes of registers "onciari" relating to all municipalities in the Kingdom, the stationery, the State Secretariats of the Viceregal era, the Supreme State advisory bodies (Council, Real Side Room of St. Clare), the chaplain and the highest judicial bodies of the State (Holy Royal Council, Grand Vicar's Court) and several other cards State organs. After the Bourbon Restoration of 1815, the name changed to "large archive of the Kingdom" and settled the principle that not only the cards of the Government cease-fire, but also those of the current Government were to be paid periodically. Since 1860 the store experienced a significant increase of its documentary heritage through the acquisition of acts of ministries and other bodies Bourbon, as the Council of State and the Court of Auditors. First Director after the unit was the Economist and journalist Francis Trinchera, who edited, using a previous fine work of archivist Michael mustache, the Neapolitan archives Report (1872), the first and in many ways still valuable systematic Guide to the sources of the Archivio di Stato di Napoli. Succeeded in authoritative scholarly figures as Camillus Minieri Riccio (1874-1882) and especially Bartolomeo Capasso (1882-1900) and Eugenio Casanova (1907-1915), the latter author of a famous Manual of archival science and an extensive report on the Naples State archive in 1899-1909, published in 1910. The direction of Riccardo Filangieri di Candida (1934-1956), during which he initiated the acquisition of private archives, unfortunately coincided with the saddest period for the history of our country and its archives; war of the Archivio di Stato di Napoli suffered more heavily than any other archival institution, as an enormous amount of ancient writings and fine, bring in a warehouse at Nola to preserve them from bombing, were destroyed by a German Department retreat in September 1943. During the twentieth century archive, having lost its character of archives of the capital, received payments from provincial or local in nature, such as the Prefecture and the police station and the District Office of direct taxation with acts relating to so-called provisional Cadaster of Naples, who ruled from Murat in 1809, remained in force until 1914.
The first floor of the monastery of Saints Severino and Sossio, home of the Naples State Archive, is the musealizzata area of Naples State archive. The heart of the Institute's life-there are located the main studio room, reception room and inventories-was also for the monks of the Community Centre. His four beautiful cloisters, he articulated the rhythms; the Chapter House, frescoed by Belisario Corenzio in first ' 600 with a complex Christological cycle, it was the place for debate and comparison; the large Refectory, evocative and impressive, was the heart of everyday life of the monastic community. Here coexist various times and various functions: the monastery, the 19th-century archive, the modern Institute of culture. The visit to Naples State Archive is limited, today, to the first floor. The virtual tour, however, opens the doors of the "secret Store" means areas normally not accessible, because occupied by offices or deposits of papers which, despite the intended use, hide – archival and artistic beauty – not secondary importance. The third floor offers views of Roman relics, precision instruments from the 19th century, and the oldest "piece", the paper store, distinctive lapidary live documents and monuments that qualification so peculiar to the monastery of Saints Severino and Sossio. On the fourth floor of the Institute, in particular, were located the rooms monumental record keeping: some of these were made in the first half of the 19th century. The halls, not included the usual routes to visit the Institute, are presented for both the importance of documentary heritage, both interesting and various construction solutions of archival shelving.