In 1738 Charles of Bourbon entrusted to Giovanni Antonio Medrano the construction of the new Palace on the Hill of Capodimonte, in which place the great artistic wealth inherited from his mother, Elisabetta Farnese. Ferdinand II, ascended the throne in 1830, he finished the building entrusted the task to Antonio Niccolini. In the early 20th century, the Palace became the residence of the Dukes of Aosta, then, in 1920, he was transferred to the State. After the war, he was enshrined in the Museum which was opened in 1957 as a result of renovations and the transfer of the collections of medieval and modern art previously exhibited in the National Archaeological Museum of Naples. In the austere rectangular building with three courtyards, collections-about 20.00-objects are spread over three floors. The main floor houses, South Wing, historical apartment, reflected the taste of avvicendatisi rulers on the throne of Naples-by Charles of Bourbon to his son Ferdinand, including the Napoleonic parenthesis with spouses Murat, who arredarono with French furniture-divided into monumental rooms (the Hall of the cradle, the Festival Hall, the Salon Camuccini) and environments (the most intimate sitting area of China , built between 1757 and 1759 for the Reggia di Portici by Real factory of Capodimonte and moved here in 1866 and the bedroom at Pompei). In the opposite Wing, the Farnese Gallery houses the extraordinary collection begun by Paul III, increased in Parma and Piacenza from the Ducal branch of the family then inherited from Charles of Bourbon. The collection of paintings, sculptures, drawings and artistic preciousness occupies 23 rooms in chronological succession, organized for schools: the great Italian schools from 400 to 600 ' adding a substantial core of Flemish painting, the collection of Cardinal Stefano Borgia Velletri and art objects together as in a "Chamber of wonders". Complete the porcelain Gallery path, with precious specimens of Capodimonte and factories of Naples, the Armory farnesiana and eclectic, late-19th-century Collection De Castro with majolica, porcelain, Venetian glass, enamels, ivories, vestments, fabrics, silvers, bronzes, Sicilian shepherds and archaeological finds. On the second floor, the Neapolitan Gallery gathers a vast, partly coming from the most important religious complexes of Naples and its province, which illustrates the evolution of art in Naples between two and seven hundred. Four rooms are also dedicated to the d'avalos, collection with an extensive set of Flemish tapestries, paintings, embroideries, miniatures, prints and weapons collection by the Marquis of Pescara Alfonso II and his family while the 19th century Gallery exposes examples of artistic production in southern Italy postunitaria, to which were added the works of Neapolitans and foreigners not masters. Between the second and the third floor is located the contemporary art collection, established since 1978, when Alberto Burri following his staff left one of his works (the Grande Cretto black) to which were added the work of many other artists, from Warhol to Kounellis, from Paladin to Sol Lewitt, Michelangelo Pistoletto, Daniel Buren Joseph Kosuth. Southern courtyard, accessed through the Allen Scale, with the Cabinet of drawings and prints. Here are 2,500 sheets and 25,000, prints from the Farnese and core original drawings of authors, Florentines, earnest Genoese, Venetians, Romans and Neapolitans, ending with the masterpieces of the collection of graphic works-about 20,000 copies, prints, mainly distributed in 227 volumes, including one devoted to the drawings-count Firmian, acquired by the Bourbons in 1782.