The National Archaeological Museum of Florence was established in 1870 by King Vittorio Emanuele II and was placed in its present location in 1880 of the seventeenth-century Palazzo della Crocetta, combining ancient materials of the Medici and Lorraine collections, already exhibited in the Uffizi Gallery, the material of the Egyptian Museum, formally established in 1855 and now housed on the first floor of the Palazzo della Crocetta.
At the end of the 19th century were set up in the courtyard are the remains of Roman monuments came to light during the renovation of the Centre of Florence, while in the garden, opened to the public in 1902, some monumental tombs were rebuilt to document Etruscan architecture development.
The purchase, in 1942, ex-Palace square Innocent SS.Annunziata allowed the expansion of the Museum and the opening of the monumental entrance on the square.
The objective of the National Archaeological Museum of Florence aims is to present to the public the various aspects of Etruscan civilization found in Tuscany and the important collection of the Egyptian Museum.
History of the Museum