The idea to establish a museum dedicated to arms was born after the founding of the "Pinacoteca Regia", opened in 1832 in the halls of Palazzo Madama. The Galleria Sabauda publicly presented the major works of art from the collections: dynastic was so drained the large Gallery of Beaumont, attached to the Royal Palace, where since 1833 he began to collect "all the ancient weapon owned by various establishments and, in particular, those from the Arsenals of Turin and Genoa, along with those of the University and private collections of the rulers. In the same year, the King Carlo Alberto bought the important collection of the milanese designer Alessandro Sanquirico; Architect of the sale was Captain Victor Seyssel d'Aix, in the following years increased the Armory with several pieces from the Parisian antiques market. The Museum, opened to the public in 1837, had a striking exhibition in which 18th century decoration of the Gallery, designed by the architect Filippo Juvarra and adorned by the court painter Claudio Francesco Beaumont, pitting the arrangement of objects in shop Windows and on the walls, according to a taste for gothic revival dear to European Romanticism.
In 1839 was acquired the large collection of weapons and armor Martinengo in Brescia accounts; three years later the architect Pelagio Palagi he finished the round, in which shop Windows were placed neoclassical weapons and flags into the Museum after the 1848 and, especially, those related to the Risorgimento wars; This area was enriched further, after 1878, with the donation of the collection of Carlo Alberto and Vittorio Emanuele II. During the first half of the 20th century the Armoury was increased heritage with collections of Umberto I and of Vittorio Emanuele III and with objects linked to African wars and world wars.
Since 1998 the Armory has been the subject of a series of interventions initiated with the restoration of the grand staircase of honour designed by Benedetto Alfieri, continued with the return of the Medals and ended in 2005 with the reopening of the Gallery of Beaumont and the recovery of the town, which had been previously amended to adapt it to more strictly philological museografici criteria.
The reopening of the lodge, in 2011, has returned to the public views on the Castle Square, traditionally used by the Royal family to greet the crowd.