The State archive of Caserta "born" with its present name as a result of the September 30, 1963 riacquistava D.P.R.: thus, the individuality a working Institution as "Provincial Archive of Terra di Lavoro" since 1818 and that, in the Fascist era, with the temporary suppression of the province, had been downgraded to a "section" of the Naples State Archive, that even when the province was reconstituted in 1945. Since 2002 was intended to seat the Chamber store vanvitelliano of the Reggia di Caserta, whose static consolidation works of functional adaptation and are at an advanced stage. In the meantime the archive remains housed in a private building.
The archival heritage Cardozo covers a chronological period of nine centuries, from the 12th to the 20TH, for a total of 115,436 archival units. The oldest document is a single scroll of Aversa, dated 1143, while the documentary the oldest organic complexes are those deeds, dating back to the 15th century. Archives of the Royal Palace are the first notaries of Caserta, starting from 1426; at the headquarters of via dei Bersaglieri there are notarial protocols of the province from 1465 to 1897. In the latter Office is also kept the diplomat, composed of almost five hundred scrolls, including some with musical notations. Of particular importance are the judicial funds, starting with the local Court of Piedimonte, dating from the 18th century. Note especially the records of French military Commission proceedings, Court of war that was installed at Capua to combat banditry, and containing the minutes of interrogation of components of FRA ' Diavolo. The archive preserves then Cardoso documentation from the Court of Santa Maria Capua Vetere, in which operated also the Large, established criminal court to suppress the brigandage in southern provinces in the wake of the unification of Italy. The most important documentary series are: public works, agriculture, industry and trade, high police, Cult, Board of Management, Education, forests, State Acts, Municipal Affairs, Were discussed. The archives of Caserta is preserved also the archive of the provincial administration (1861-1927), than in the other State is missing, being a non-papers, which usually should retain it's own acts. The State archive of Caserta stands out for the large iconographic heritage comprising a large number (approximately 20,000) of plants, drawings, maps that can be found in almost all the archives. Particularly rich in this respect are the Commission for the liquidation of civic uses, where there are three old plants of painted lines between Caserta and Maddaloni, dating back to 1638, the Fund Contract, the Prefecture Court Expertise, direct taxes offices, with maps of much of the province, and especially the civil engineering. Also at the Royal Palace are about four hundred plants and drawings (some acquerellati), many of which are attached to two beautiful Audiences compiled by Sancho in 1825, illustrating respectively the status of Caserta and the San Leucio.