The Amphitheatre of Ivrea was built around the middle of the 1st century AD, outside the city walls, along the way to Vercelli. It is assumed that could accommodate ten to fifteen thousand spectators. This ancient monument, which extends for a length of approximately 65 metres, the foundations of the walls remain, in particular the elliptical outer perimeter wall and side walls (archaeology term indicating a wholly or partly to support a building underground above). You can also still find some underground tunnels where animals were kept from combat.
The Amphitheatre of Ivrea was unearthed early in 1955 and, during the excavation work, many were found fragments of frescoes and a long stretch of bronze finish for the backrests of seats of the podium. To build the amphitheatre the Romans razed a villa, of which some remains are visible today. Here were found coins, amphorae, fragments of statues and remains of painted plaster.
The road, which leads us to the Amphitheater ancient Eporedia, it kept the direction of Gallic which connected Rome with the territories directly beyond the Alps. Eporedia was therefore a step obliged and became an important commercial centre, thus the population increased greatly. The city therefore expanded, especially in the Imperial period, beyond the walls, mostly in the East that was best suited to new settlements. Throughout the area between the amphitheater and Porta Praetoria new neighborhoods were built and this is documented either by medieval sources both from archaeological excavations. An area for mainly commercial use was discovered north of the Porta Praetoria.