What we call today the Royal Palace is actually a large patrician house built, increased over time and decorated with splendor, as well as by Savoia in the nineteenth century, by two great dynasties of Genoa: the Balbi (who built between 1643 and 1650) and Durres (which extended between the end of the seventeenth century and the beginning of the next century).
The building is perhaps the largest architectural complex six-eighteenth in Genoa that has preserved intact its interior, complete with both fixed decorations (frescoes and stucco) and mobile ones (paintings, sculptures, furniture and furnishings).
The vaults and galleries lounges are decorated by some of the biggest names of the Baroque and Rococo decoration. Among the more than 100 paintings on display in the halls of the best works are the Genoese artists of the 17th century along with masterpieces of Bassano, Tintoretto, Luca Giordano, Anton Van Dyck, Ferdinand Voet and Guercino.
The visit includes the monumental atrium with eighteenth-century stucco, the courtyard, the roof garden and the noble apartment on the second floor with spectacular representative environments such as the throne room, the ballroom and the Hall of mirrors.
Prior reservation is also visited the apartment of the Princes also of Duca degli Abruzzi did set up by Savoy to the first Floor of the Palace: this wonderful example of Royal apartment retains intact the furniture, fabrics and decorations from the 19th century.