Murazzi del Po Giuseppe Farassino (Turin)

The Murazzi (Murass in Piedmontese language ij) are the landings, the arches and remittances of localized on the boats West of the Po, near the historic centre of Turin.
The origin of the name is linked to the impressive margins (walls) built during the 19th century to protect the town centre from flooding of the river.


The first section of "walls" (the one along corso Cairoli and along Some Diaz) was built between 1833 and 1835, to a design by Carlo Bernard Moscow variation and addition to the original design of the 1808-1809 by Joseph La Ramée Pertinchamp. The next section (next to Long Po Cadorna) was built between 1872 and 1877, in conjunction with the demolition of the dilapidated Village of Moschino.
Until the fifties of the twentieth century, the premises taken within these margins were used for the storage of fishing boats.
In the next two decades, river pollution led to the progressive abandonment of the area by fishermen. This situation led to a strong area = disqualification.

The Murazzi 1970s =

Starting from the second half of the 1970s, was undertaken a policy of a strong revival in the area, working in several directions:
the granting of licenses for the opening of premises, able to attract also juvenile population in the area at night;
the creation of a stable service of navigation on the river Po, one of the Board right at the Murazzi;
creating a night police patrol operating until dawn.
Within a few years, the Murazzi are therefore become one of the Turin and nightlife of youth among the most important of the city, reaching even national and international fame.
The Commission recently established municipal place names to name the sections of Embankments in the North and South of the bridge Vittorio Emanuele I respectively to songwriters Fred Buscaglione and Turin Gipo Farassino.

Imported from Wikipedia under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.



Your saved POIs organized on a map based on your interests, opening hours and weather!