Located on the highest hill of Rome, home to the Palazzo del Quirinale, the official seat of the President of the Republic, the residence of the Popes until 1870 and then of the King of Italy until 1946. On the open side of the square there is a famous view of the city and the dome of St. Peter's.
In the Middle stands an obelisk and the large marble group of the Dioscuri Castor and Pollux with their rampant horses. From the group, Roman copy of Greek originals, the old name of Piazza di Monte Cavallo. On the square is also the Palazzo della Consulta, opera by Ferdinando Fuga, which hosts today the Constitutional Court.