The majestic complex of Villa Manin, Passariano, located in the municipality of Codroipo, provincia di Udine, is one of the most significant artistic monuments of Friuli Venezia Giulia and one of the best-known symbols of tourism and culture. It was built in the 17th century by Ludovico Manin to celebrate the wealth and power of his house, used by Ma as a country house.
The compendium is composed of a central body used as a noble residence, and from some areas of orthogonal to it service where agricultural activities took place in the Villa. In the West Wing were placed in the cellars and barns, while the stables were positioned in the barn, where today you can visit the Museo delle Carrozze. The Villa is placed in the environment that surrounds it according to a concept of harmonisation, so as to become an integral part of the surrounding landscape.
The life of the majestic complex of Passariano is always linked to the historical-political events that have covered this territory; so that at the end of the 18th century, at the time of the last doge of Venice, Ludovico Manin (1789-1798), the Villa became headquarters of the French troops led by Napoleon Bonaparte, who stayed here in 1797 during the campaign of Italy. Napoleon chose this residence from the sovereign, as his headquarters: from here for the first time laid out a new order by force the whole of Europe.
In the halls of residence were important negotiations Dogal leading up to "Treaty of Campoformido" (October 17, 1797), with whom he was sanctioned the end of the Venetian Republic in favor of the Habsburg empire.
Change that marked the inevitable decline until the end of the power of the Manin. This led in the nineteenth century the Villa degradation, caused by the weakening of the family fortune of Manin. After the middle of the twentieth century the Villa was purchased by the authority to the Venetian Villas and later in 1969 by the autonomous region Friuli Venezia Giulia, the current owner.
The atrium of the villa has a warm welcome for visitors who dive into the room more richly frescoed: was Louis Dorigny (1654-1742), among the most popular painters of the epoch, to painting the Triumph of spring, in the round, and mythological tales made monochrome walls.
The Festival Hall (Central Hall) was the beautiful scenery of historic meetings and events. The stuccoes that decorate date back to the 18th century, the delicious and majestic chandeliers that illuminate the whole ground floor are in Murano glass.
Villa Manin is set within the walls in a secular Park of 18 hectares, which is an integral part of the monumental complex.
The design of the garden of Passariano, known through a series of engravings, was typical of the Baroque elements, taken from the French repertoire and disseminated throughout Europe.
The walk, which is recommended, you can admire extremely interesting views along the viale delle Mimose, or the Avenue of Magnolias, focusing at the sight of numerous sculptures scattered all along the route of the Park.
There are no hills with statues symbolizing the allegories of virtues where stands an imposing Petasos. Carlo Goldoni described the Villa and its majestic Park a "living room fit for a King" and amazement that causes remained intact until today.