The Palazzo della Pilotta, also called simply the Pilotta is a vast collection of buildings. The name derives from the game of pelota, practiced by Spanish soldiers in the courtyard of Guazzatoio, originally called of pelota.
Within the present building are:
- Museo archeologico nazionale di Parma
- Paolo Toschi Art Institute
- Biblioteca Palatina
- Bodoni Museum
- Teatro Farnese
- Galleria Nazionale di Parma
Outside the building are:
- Glauco Lombardi Museum in via Garibaldi, which mostly preserves works of art from the period of Maria Luigia.
- The monument to Giuseppe Verdi.
- The monument to the partisan.
- Piazzale della Pace: a large area of lawn in the heart of Parma, attended meeting place.