The Villa Real is one of the most important monuments of the city. The villa was built during the period of Austrian rule over the Duchy of Milan, as a symbol of prestige and magnificence of the Habsburg Court, commissioned by Empress Maria Theresa of Austria and dedicated his fourth son, Archduke Ferdinand of Austria, who at that time lived in Milan as Governor of Lombardy and wanted a villa outside the city to spend the summer season and to go hunting. The works began in 1777 under the direction of Giuseppe Piermarini. Consists of a main building and two wings branch off at right angles.
From the gardens of Villa Reale can be accessed (only walking) to reach the Park via Cavriga or la cascina del Sole.