The Palazzo dell'Accademia delle Scienze is an impressive 17th-century building. Its construction, based on a design by Guarino Guarini, was begun in 1679. Within the Academy of Sciences is famous globe room which owes its name to two ancient Globes of Venetian cartographer Vincenzo Coronelli (1650-1718) kept inside.
Currently the Palace, which continues to be the seat of the Academy of Sciences of Turin, houses the Egyptian Museum (from 1824).
As defined in its by-laws, its role is to “contribute to scientific progress, supporting research and seeing to the publication of its results, contributing to the spread of knowledge through congresses, conventions, seminars, lectures and all other suitable means, and further by providing opinions and making proposals to public institutions and private organisations in its fields of competence”.