The old bridge, or Bridge Clemente, is the oldest bridge in Cesena, and is also a symbol of the city. The bridge crosses the river Savio, in one of the tightest spots of the city.
The original Roman path of Via Emilia crossed the river Savio with a wooden bridge which is more or less in place of the present Ponte Vecchio. Collapsed and always rebuilt, the Roman bridge was eventually replaced by a stone bridge built a bit further downstream at the behest of Andrea Malatesta and completed under Novello. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries the bridge was repeatedly damaged by Savio in full; in 1684 the final collapse, followed by the construction of a wooden bridge, which collapsed hopelessly in 1727.
In 1733, behind the efforts of Pope Clement XII and under the direction of Domenico Cipriani, he began the construction of a new stone bridge that took the name of the Pope, Clement's Bridge, and who had different forms from current; but the travails were not over yet because it was soon interrupted the construction of the bridge.
Finally in 1766 resumed the work, designed by Pietro Carlo Bourbons approved by Ferdinando Fuga and Luigi Vanvitelli. In 1773 the bridge could be completed in the forms known to us, but only in 1779 all work could be concluded. The opening of the new bypass, in 1816, did not affect the privilege of Ponte Vecchio but simply diverted traffic from Forlì from Ponte di San Martino, now via Canon Larkin. Were the construction of Ponte del Risorgimento (1914) and the opening of via Cesare Battisti, in 1921, to change the history of the bridge, "Clemente" became "Old" to distinguish it from the new (Ponte del Risorgimento) and traffic moved more and more towards the latter.
Finally, during the Second World War, when the Germans left Cesena (20 October 1944), blew up the middle part of the bridge, but was immediately rebuilt.