The Vermexio Palace also known as Palazzo del Senato (1629-1633) was commissioned by the City Government to the architect Giovanni Vermexio, to replace the old seat of the Regional Chamber of Syracuse. The building then became the Senate building and City Government so far, the Mayor's offices in City Hall.
This building can be considered a reason the highest expression of geometry that animates all accomplishments of John Vermexio. It was originally a perfect cube, divided in half height, from a long balcony that separates, even stylistically, the two orders: the Renaissance, the Baroque lower upper.
The first floor is set to classic designs: large rusticated Tuscan Doric pilasters, gabled, the solemn entablature decorated with triglyphs and metopes. Are not present the Baroque accents from different shelves window masks. The balcony opens the upper floor in the Baroque style. Here the Ionic pilasters mark the prospectus with Windows alternating with niches: intended to contain the statues of the Kings of Spain never completed by Gregory Germans who had been entrusted with the sculptural decoration of the Palace, he was able to complete only the double-headed Imperial Eagle. Closes the construction an abundant decorating with Ruffles that run between the capitals and a strongly projecting cornice. Lizard Vermexio Palace, the "signature" of the architect. Within the Atrium is parked the cab settecentesca (1763) of the Senate, designed by Austrian Sedan model.