The church of San Giovanni Battista is a religious building in Piazza Don Giovanni Minzoni in Monterosso al Mare, on the Riviera of La Spezia-Cinque Terre in the province of La Spezia. The church is the home of the parish of the Diocese of La Spezia-Sarzana-Brugnato.
The current parish of Monterosso was built between the thirteenth and fourteenth century and rebuilt in the Baroque period. The facade, dating to 1307, is characterized by a two-tone white vestment and dark serpentine and a large rose window in white marble, which is positioned under the main portal with a lunette fresco depicting the baptism of Christ in the eighteenth century.
The internal structure is a basilica with three naves and a division, for its characteristics, is a pure Genoese gothic style that was more rievidenziato after the restoration carried out between 1963 and 1964.
They have preserved the baptismal font, made in 1360, a painting of the Madonna of the Rosary - the right wall of the presbytery - the work of the school of painting by Luca Cambiaso, and a Crucifixion on the left wall of the unknown Genoese painter of the seventeenth century. The high altar, as well as the wooden stalls, was commissioned in 1734.
Next to the apse area is embedded in an arcaded building of a later period, the bell tower was originally a watchtower is part of the fortifications built by the Republic of Genoa in the thirteenth century. The tower was raised in the fifteenth century and partly rebuilt in the eighteenth century, after an earthquake that damaged it.