The castle of Riomaggiore is a historic building located in the upper part of the historic center of Riomaggiore in Cinque Terre, in the province of La Spezia. Originally used for defensive purposes, then converted to the cemetery, now the site is used by the local municipal government as a convention hall and cultural center.
According to historical sources a first defensive building was built by the Marquis Turcotti in 1260, the last lords of Ripalta village and hamlet of Borghetto di Vara, on the ruins of an existing site (called "castellazzo") at the Cerricò hill. After the domination of Count Nicolò Fieschi, a new castle, located on the hill that divides the valley of the Rio Maggiore from the Rio Finale, it was finally completed by the Republic of Genoa in a period between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
With the advent of the French domination of Napoleon Bonaparte, and thus with the Ligurian Republic, the area inside the fort was filled with earth and destined to the burial of the deceased local.
At the end of the twentieth century, the entire complex will be submitted to a general recovery, converting the area into a cultural center.
The structure is rectangular in shape, with two large circular towers.