St. Andrew's Cathedral is the main place of Catholic worship, Episcopal seat of the Archdiocese. Dedicated to SIn origin the basilicas to Amalfi were two, and both aisles: the first is the old cathedral erected by the Duke Manso II around the year 1000: the second erected in the middle of the 9th century is broader. At that time the two places of worship were to be engaged at the same time as they did in all of the early Christian churches of Campania. The basilica was transformed in the early decades of the 13th century under Archbishop Matthew Capuano and Cardinal Pietro Capuano, both joined the two places of worship into one with five naves. Further expansions and reconstructions took place between the 16th century and the 18th century which awarded him the robe attuale.ant ' Andrew the Apostle, located in Cathedral Square, in the city center.
Basilica del Crocifisso
The Church was built in the early middle ages and restored in the Baroque period, in 1931 was restored further by deleting Baroque superstructures, was abandoned for decades and reopened with yet another restoration in 1996. The Interior has three naves divided by columns Regents horseshoe arches, slightly high-pitched on which is placed a gallery are works dating from the Gothic and Roman sarcophagi, as well as some remains of frescos and mosaics fragments from the ancient façade of the Cathedral. Most of the decorations were delivered within the Diocesan Museum of Amalfi adjacent to the Duomo.
The cloister of paradise
From the left side of the porch leads to the cloister of paradise, true piece of the East in southern Italy. Consists of a portico with arches, typical of Arab-Norman art, and supported by thin paired columns: they have the name of the complex. Was built between 1266 and 1268 by Archbishop Filippo Augustariccio as a cemetery for the citizens of Amalfi. The sides of the Colonnade there are six frescoed chapels with remains of paintings dating back to the XIV century depicting a crucifixion (attributed to Robert of Oderisio), a Christ Pantocrator and stories of Saints Cosmas and Damian, and five sarcophagi of Roman (depicting the wedding of Peleus and Thetis and the abduction of Ariadne) reused in the middle ages. Other stone fragments of the ancient Romanesque cathedral floor Ambo are exposed on the walls. After falling almost abandoned in the 17th century, the Cloister was restored in 1908 and opened to the public