University square is located in Catania, via Etnea, less than 100 metres from Piazza Duomo, and is one of the most spectacular of the historical centre of Catania. Its existence dates back to 1696 when, on the West side, was built the Palace of the University after the destruction caused by the earthquake of 1693.
The Palace was built to a design by architects including Francis and Antonino battle and Giovanni Battista Vaccarini. On the East side, in front of the building of the University, is the Palazzo San Giuliano built in 1738, Paternò Castello Marchesi di San Giuliano, on the same project for the square are four artistic Vaccarini. candelabra in bronze, made in 1957 by sculptors Catania Mimì Mary Lazarus and Domenico Tudisco, representing four ancient legends in Catania, including that of Colapesce.