The castello di Pollenzo (in Piedmontese ël castel ëd Polens) is located in Pollenzo, a frazione of Bra (CN).
Is one of the Savoy residences recognized in 1997 by UNESCO as a world heritage site, in the system of castles, palaces and public buildings that arose at the initiative of the Dukes, Princes and Kings of the House of Savoy, in its different branches, including mainly the branch from Savoy, King of Sardinia Carlo Alberto.
Bimillearia history of Pollentia ("zur Post" for the Romans) were built and destroyed several times fortifications, castles and churches.
Feudal and Renaissance residence
The ancient Pollenzo (Bra-Museum included in the circuit of open castles-exhibits finds from the Roman period and early middle ages from archaeological excavations of the site), after bitter disputes-12th-13th-centuries among the major municipalities of the lower Piedmont, which led to its complete destruction, becomes county seat of Patrick visconteo Antonio Porro, who promotes the building of a Castle by the engineer Andrea da Modena in 1386; After a few decades, the rock turns into prestigious feudal residence dei marchesi di Romagnano. These, in the second half of the 16th century, will initiate a profound renewal of the castle on Mannerist, ranging patterns put into the system with the contemporary architecture of the Saluzzese, Saviglianese and besides Dawn and Casale Monferrato: few exhibits of sculptures and more, the documents made it possible to reconstruct a superb historical phase designed to be completely cleared between 1832 and 1847.
The case of Pollenzo in those years will be symptomatic of particular romantic vision of the client-King Carlo Alberto-even to the middle of its artists referred to a gothic revival now distant from Horace Walpole: the carloalbertina era resulted in the complete destruction of most of the medieval and early modern history were preserved, with the majority of rural settlements and 14th century defensive of the Church of San Vittore, infrastructural fabric of the place (internal and external viability, the four "ports" in Pollenzo, the island and the right bank of the Tanaro river), but ultimately also the Castle, both of the outside-which remains intact or nearly only donjon-indoor; all this in the name of the celebration of a recreated medieval, but with frequent and widespread elements of contradiction in classical form more glitzy, idealized by the architect Pelagio Palagi.
Along with the building, the architect collaborated, Palagi Ernesto Melano and, for the new Park, the architect Xavier Kurten.
The silver lining of the intervention of Savoy in Pollenzo is that new developments see engaged artists pursuing a form designed for the new aggregate as well as for each minute artifact: is what you could here face, investigating the works of Pelagio Palagi (where he was also traced, in Bologna, the archive Archiginnasio palagiano "true" neo-Gothic design, unrealized for the facades of the Castle), Ernesto Melano, Carlo Bellosio of Moncalvo and of Joseph II Gaggini. With these artists, which the King entrusted the riplasmazione of the entire Pollenzo, was called to work a bevy of other professional artists and artisans (including Li chard), who collaborated to create the new image of the village, with its square with fountain, its church, the cascina Albertina, the Castle, and, crucially, his agency.
The count of Pollenzo
Vittorio Emanuele III abdicating 9 May 1946 assumed the name of count of Pollenzo
At present the castle is private property.
Church of san Vittore
Connected to the castle is the Church of san Vittore, also built in the 1840s, in neo-Gothic style by Ernesto Melano.
In the Church Carlo Bellosio painted, among other things, the martyrdom of Saint Victor; There is also a valuable wooden choir of the ' 500 from the Abbey of Staffarda.
The subject of functional recovery, the complex known as the Agency, State building located near the Castle and overlooking the square where the Church of San Vittore, is now home to the University of gastronomic Sciences and the wine Bank