Admire the most beautiful places of Novara and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The headquarters, located in the historic centre of Novara, was the site of the convent of s. Maria Maddalena from the mid-seventeenth century. until 1799, from 1808 became Notary Archive: from 1970 is home to this Institute. The documents date from the late ninth century to 1990; the oldest is an exchange between the Bishop of Novara and a private Ernusto to land in località Sozzago, Merovingian write. The documents, in relation to different periods, besides the city of Novara relate to his countryside, down Novarese, Novara province in what was once its greatest territorial expansion, which
The most famous monument of Novara is the Basilica of San Gaudenzio, built between the late 16th and early 17th centuries, characterized by the imposing neoclassical Dome to Pinnacle (121 metres high) designed by Alessandro Antonelli and adding to the body of the Church in the second half of the 19th century, considered by many to be the highest in the world.
Of particular interest is the campanile by Benedetto Alfieri (uncle of the more famous Vittorio Alfieri) and especially, within the Church, the beautiful polyptych by Gaudenzio Ferrari.
Climbing through the Bell Tower (via the ancient stair
Not far from the Duomo is located on the courtyard (or Arengo) del Broletto, ancient political centre of Novara commune. It is an architectural complex consisting of four historic buildings willing to quadrangle, born in different eras and decorative materials that are inconsistent with each other, that overlook the central courtyard: the palazzo del Comune (12th century), palazzo dei Paratici (12th century) to the West, the palazzo del Podestà and palazzo South of legal secretaries to the East (both end 14TH-early 15th century).
The Broletto was also home of the prisons, then of the craft guil
Church of all Saints (early 12th century), is the only church in the city romanicasuperstite, cited in 1124. It is a simple three-nave building, with four bays each, a semicircular conabside choir and an elegant and exquisite octagonal lantern lit by Lancet Windows and Lancet Windows. Inside surviving traces of frescoes from the 15th century including a Madonna del Latte attributed to Giovanni de Campo. The current appearance is the result of renovations made in the 1950s that cleared the heavy Baroque adaptations, restoring the building to its original Romanesque style.
It houses a collection of embalmed animals (one of Piedmont's most important) a collection of weapons, items from various countries, a theatrical collection that consists of medals, musical instruments, prints and watercolours of theatrical costumes.
The Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is the center of religious life, in stileneoclassico town, designed by Alessandro Antonelli and constructed in the mid-19th century on the ruins of an earlier Romanesque cathedral (is the same spot where once stood the Temple of Jupiter), which still belong to the lower part of the Bell Tower, the Cloister of the rectory and the Oratory of San Siro.
Opposite the Cathedral is the Baptistry, the oldest building still in existence and one of the oldest early Christian architecture in Piedmont.