Admire the most beautiful places of Aquileia and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
The patriarchal basilica of Santa Maria Assunta is the main religious edifice of Aquileia (UD) and the ancient Cathedral Church of suppressed the Patriarchate of Aquileia.
Dating back to the 4th century the oldest remains, the present basilica was built in the eleventh century and renovated in the 13th century. Is located at the side of the via Sacra, facing piazza of the Chapter, along with the impressive Bell Tower and Baptistery.
Founded in 313 by Bishop Theodore with the direct support of the Emperor Constantine, the buildings known as classrooms teodoriane (whose ruins are still visible in
The area retains the remains of some Roman domus facing along the cardo maximus of the ancient city. The houses, of which there are portions of the walls rather limited in height, were arranged around a central courtyard and Portico were open along the main road through tabernae. The most interesting element are the mosaic floors: in the first phase (early Imperial age) the design is geometric, with black and white tiles, while renovations of II – III century ad is animated by more complex patterns, such as cables and networks of circles and rhombuses, drawn with vivid colors.
In the 4th centur
North of piazza Chapter are visible the remains of a complex building complex, which occupied a whole insula, between two kardines (N-S streets): the investigations currently under way aim to reconstruct the plan and internal joints in their evolution.
Starting from the late Republic (1st century BC) is acknowledged in particular in the central belt a domus, open on a vast mosaic peristyle with black and white geometric designs. On this porch overlooked rooms that have yielded some of the most luxurious floor decorations to Aquileia and discoveries today preserved at the National Archaeological
In this area south of the city there are traces of a paved area surrounded by a double row of rectangular bases for pillars that probably supported a wooden shed. The structure has been interpreted as the square where the market was located, surrounded by an arcade; the presence of many reuse elements lead to date in late-Imperial age.
South of the building is a long stretch of the wall of the Roman city with the base of a quadrangular Tower and likely traces of a walkway at the inner side,. The walls are made of concrete to a thickness of approximately 2.5 m, and reuse them too, as the structu
The Roman Forum is within walking distance from the complex of the Basilica, to the North. Currently the site, restored and partially rebuilt in the thirties of the last century, is crossed by regional road 352, but old space was closed to traffic and stood on the cardo maximus, the main road that passed through the city in North South direction. The vast square was paved and surrounded by a portico elevated by three steps, occupied by shops (tabernae) with terracotta floors and sometimes mosaic tiles. In the first half of the century. Ad columns, topped with composite capitals, supporting a p
The Museum, established in 1882 as "Imperial-Royal State Museum" under the patronage of Emperor Franz Joseph, is based in Villa Cariño Pharaoh, built between 1812 and 1825; It welcomes the historical collections, received as a gift or purchased from the most illustrious families aquileiesi, supplemented by the results of research carried out between ' 800 and ' 900 mainly by its directors, Henry Maionica, Giovanni Battista and Luisa Bertacchi Brusin.
The sort of exposure, since the origin according to themes, dates in its present format 50 's of the last century: the materials are scanned for c
The Paleo-Christian Museum was inaugurated in 1961, by deducting from the National Archaeological Museum of the early Christian community of Aquileia, and was named after Franco Marinotti, patron who had contributed to the recovery of the building that hosts it. It was built as early Christian Church, North-eastern outskirts of the city, to become a Benedictine monastery; following the defrocking, passed in different families aquieiesi, to be destined to residence ("Palace"), home of the private collections of Antiquities and finally to agricultural use.
The ground floor is occupied almost enti