Admire the most beautiful places of Grosseto and add them to your basket. YAMGU will create your trip considering distances, opening hours and weather.
San Lorenzo Cathedral, or simply duomo di Grosseto, is located in the main square of the city and was built between 1294 and 1302 by architect Sozzo by Rustichino. The façade is based on the taste of Roman array for Duotone white-red (from red marble Floors) and goticheggianti forms; on it are placed the statues of the four evangelists, dating back to the 14th century, a beautiful rose window depicting the Redeemer, two kiosks, a side balcony of the 16th century with the original columns, a pediment with religious images (1897).
The excavation permit to see large sections of the walls (about 3 Km), polygonal part up to 5 metres (6th-2nd century BC), the remains of the Roman city (Forum, cardo maximus, basilica forense Imperial age, and stately residences) and, on a hill, a small amphitheatre and thermal plants. Deeper excavations revealed the plant late archaic age city, with houses and workshops of the VII-VI century. a. c.
The bastion fortress, also known as the fortress of Grosseto, is located on the northeastern Summit of Grosseto, between the Memorial and the bastion bastion Maiano.
The bulwark, built in the second half of the 16th century, during the reconstruction of the walls, it has a pentagonal shape and is formed by two inside secondary bastions facing the historic city centre, the bastion of the victory and the Santa Lucia bastion: the latter delimits the imposing Cassero Senese. Access to the Citadel is possible through a doorway, preceded by a drawbridge, which opens next to the Santa Lucia Bastion. P
The Cassero del Sale is a historic building in the historic centre of Grosseto.
The building overlooks the piazza del Sale, between the side of the road Ricasoli and the beginning of the parallel via Mazzini.
The building was built in the mid-14th century, the area where it stood the Church of St. George, as a point of collection and distribution of salt that was mined along the coast.
The Cassero Senese (14th century) is an imposing fortification along the walls of Grosseto, located in the bastion fortress. Together with the old Port, the Cassero Senese is the only architectural element of the medieval walls which was spared during the reconstruction of the walls, which occurred in the second half of the 16th century.
The walls were hexagonal with corners of defensive ramparts, almost all of pentagonal shape, in turn, at the Summit, of guard posts, or casini sentry; the Sienese delCassero Citadel was further protected by a pair of bastions of the same shape but smaller, fa
The birth of the Museum dates back to 1865 and is linked to the figure of Canon Giovanni Castro, who began to have the Library open to the public by him various antiques. In 1933 thanks to another churchman, a. Cappelli, opened the Museum of sacred art. In 1975 the two museums were United in its present location thanks to an agreement between the city and diocese. Closed in 1992 for restructuring, the Museum was re-opened in March 21, 1999 renewed.
The Museum was established by the will of the Board of the Separate Administration of Assets Montepescali civic Use in order to pass on to future generations the history, traditions, customs of the village of Montepescali, free commune of 1147. There are documents (some ancient era and many old medieval, modern and contemporary art), archeological findings, ancient watchmaking, the guillotine, farming tools.